Re: [RC] [RC] automatic sanctions - Nancy Mitts

I think the reactions from Joe and Dick pretty well cover it.
We have a Protest process in place if the initial evidence indicates abusive disregard for the horse. The ride manager or vets or any other witness is able to use it. Guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent is not good policy. The unintended consequence would be for more people to load up and leave the ride with stressed horses, increasing chances of death. But, it would leave "our sport" in the clear for the death I guess. Make people feel good about not seeing it. Gee--just like the old days---if it didn't get reported it never happened!
Since it appears AERC has substantial money floating around for reseach grants, why not start with our own rides. AERC would pay for the necropsy of any horse that dies at a ride. It might show nothing, or it might show the cause for death, such as an aneurism or tumor. The results along with reports from the ride manger & ride vets could go to the vet committee for review and they could then choose to file a protest or not. (Just like they do with the drug test results). I'm sure howls of indignation will go up if the conclusion of the committee is that their is no proof one way or another so it would then go to the Supreme Court of Ridecamp who will absolutely know it was the rider's fault and order the rider shot at sunrise. No repeat offenders.

Nancy Mitts
(And Monte mostly agrees, he'd just say it a lot less tactfully)

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com