Re: [RC] automatic sanctions - Truman Prevatt

A number theorist if I remember right. Not a great one at that - more know for his ability to condense the character and sometimes failing of man logically into a few precise words. Similar to the insights of Chrarles Lutwidge  a.ka. Lewis Caroll who was much better know for his unique glimpse of the nature of the human in his adventures of "Alice, the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter, etc., than his mathematics.

"To make the perfect toast" is a unique one line comment on human nature and it seems unfortunately to describe where we seems to have evolved in endurance riding.

Truman

Bob Morris wrote:
In past years there was a fairly well known mathematician from Denmark by the name of Piet Hein, He was known for things like the "Perfect egg" and for his short comments called "grooks". The one grook that has stuck with me all these years goes like

"TO MAKE PERFECT TOAST, YOU COOK IT UNTIL IT BURNS, AND THEN TWO SECONDS LESS"

This is how some riders work with their horses and exactly why we are having this discussion.

You will note: Piet did not give you an exact period of time, in finite numbers to cook the toast, as each piece of bread is different. He gives you a point of measure, the burning, and then advises a slightly less period of cooking.

One of life's undeterminable factors.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises