Re: [RC] Competition - Barbara McCrary

Several years ago, while on the board of directors, I made a suggestion that if AERC dropped the awards program there would be less problems of all sorts.  I've forgotten what the issue of the day was then, but it could have been solved had we no awards program.  Many people agreed with me, even a standing ovation (so to speak).  I think we all realize that without competition, the sport would die because humans are generally competitive animals.  If we had no competition, the sport would die, yet without competition, less horses might die.  I've never come up with a solution to these issues.

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:30 AM
Subject: [RC] Competition

Do I dare to question why the emphasis on competition...i.e. points, awards, placements, miles, etc. isn't mentioned as one of the culprits here?  I thought "to finish is to win" was the creed...... but the more rides I went to, the more I heard about first place, time, top ten, etc. and the less I heard about "to finish is to win"