Home Shop Classified News, Stories Events Education Ridecamp Videos Cartoons AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
ridecamp@endurance.net
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

[RC] French study on treated horses - Leonard . Liesens

Hi,

I promised to look for more information on the subject. There is an interesting, nevertheless incomplete, study made by Celine Robert DVM on the teated horse on races of more than 120kms in France in 1998..2000, so in total 27 races.

Quick translation, so sorry for my English... leonard, Belgium

-         from 4 to 16% of the starters(from race to race) required treatment, not necessarily IV.

-         As an average, treated horses covered 84km before being stopped

-         Treated horses ran at 13 to 15 ph with an aerage of 13.9Kph

-         Average age : 9 years

-         High level of inexperienced horse (INTERESTING isn't it?) : 46% had never taken part, 58% had never completed a race of this distance, 10% had already suffered an elimination on the same year

-          More than 50% covered more than 600kms to reach the site of the event

-         more than 50% had a change in their diet during the week preceding the event

-         50% presented signs of dehydration and extreme fatigue, 25% signs of cramps, colics, etc

-         33 % dehudration, 29% extreme fatigue, 27% myopathy (tying up), 16% flutter (shit... forgot the English name!, when heartrate sunchro with respiration), 15% colics,  12% lameness. 4.5 % developed laminitis later.
in 40% of the cases, clinical signs were considered as serious

-         in 70% of the cases, horse was OK the day after. In the other 30% extensive care during the next days were necessary. 3 died (but the information has not been verified as not all death have been reported)

-         VERY INTERESTING : in only 41% of the cases, did the horse  get ONE completion in the 2 years and only in 23% got the horse TWO completions. In the average, the next completion was got more than one year after the problem

 

Voila.

Attachment: image001.jpg
Description: JPEG image