Re: [RC] [RC] Rest rule, was Re : Analysis of pull trends - Mark and Erica DeVoti

...simple fact that draconian penalties for pulling your horse is
a disincentive to pull your horse....
...We need, instead, to be looking for ways to improve the quality of trail/vet check layout at rides, vet check
procedures, rider education, and
 *tuning rewards for rider behaviors*...

Ahhh...a psychologist at heart, Joe?:)  Positive reinforcement instead of negative....very powerful.

In regards to rider education, I would also like to see a component at regional/national conventions a talk not only on the typical health/riding topics, but also of a personal experience of losing one's horse (or almost losing) because of rider overlooking signs, being competitive etc...  This type of education has been used in many "prevention" type circles (i.e. teen alcohol/drug abuse programs, religious programs etc...).   Why reinvent the wheel -- let's duplicate and form to our needs in endurance what has already been proven to work in other "arena's"  (pun intended).

Erica DeVoti