Re: [RC] [RC] HELP! Seller HELP!! - Sisu West Ranch

There are many pitfalls in buying and selling horses.  Because of some
things that happened to friends when I first started thinking about horses,
I have always given when selling or buying a bill of sale that covers the
following:

1. No warantee of state of training or suitability for any particular rider.
2. Neg. coggins (or particular time to draw a coggins by buyer)
3. Whether delivery is included.  In WI (and I expect many states) I
couldn't charge for delivery because I was not a licensed livestock hauler.
I could however sell with delivery included
4. When title passes.  Typically when the horse loading is started, or when
unloaded if delivery is included.
5. If there is a vet exam  how long allowed to get it or that it has been
done.
6. Sellers warantee that the seller does have title, no liens on horse , and
the horse is the horse described on the bill and on any papers.
7. Buyer's acknowlegement that horses do get sick, and become unsound at any
time.
8. If there are return priv. how long, and under what conditions.  I also
include that if the horse is returned it must be in substantially the same
condition as when the buyer got it.  If the seller thinks that the horse has
been injured or otherwise damaged, he can hire a vet at his expense.  This
vet's opinion would be the sole judgement as to if the injury happened while
the buyer had the horse.

Even though these provisions probably protect the seller more than the
buyer, I always offer them when I buy.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West