Re: [RC] what's the point... - Sisu West Ranch

"Dr. Frazier told the riders a the Pan Am's that in events such as this one out of 100 horses will die because of the event. Is that acceptable - not to me"

I totally agree, but we must keep the differences between a championship ride, and ordinary ride, and the unique problems of rookie riders separate!

Rookie riders may hurt their horses by ignorance.  Education and perhaps special rules (speed, mentors, baby sitters, etc) may help.

Ordinary rides may have horses that have been trailered to long and are  dehydrated (at the PAC all of the horses had been there for a week- certainly enough time to recover) Riders may need to be encouraged to stop to allow horses to eat.  Perhaps experience levels before longer distances.  Perhaps log books and a lot of things I can't think of right now.

FEI champ rides.  The riders are experienced, they have coaches.  The horses are on site for a long time.  The horses have demonstrated that they can go the distance.  The riders are going to go very fast. There is a (relatively) a lot of money.  Blood testing before and during the ride is possible. Complicated and expensive diagnostics (x-ray and/or ultrasound) could be done before the ride.  Special rules (like 52 pulse or extra stop and go stops) would be feasible.  Better provision for treatment is possible (the PAC did a good job, but things could be improved)

Let us be very careful that the various types of rides, riders and horses are kept in mind.  If to many rookie riders are killing their horses, target them with things that will help that group.  If to many ordinary riders and rides have problems, target them.  If would class events have real problems, (which I believe they do) target the world class events.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road