Re: [RC] AERA - Joe Long

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:23:27 -0400, Truman Prevatt
<tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And where is it the evidence it is better reporting? Do we know any
better how many horses die three days after at home?  I doubt it very
seriously. I would hope that even in the dark ages 5 years ago when a
horse died at a ride it would have been reported. If not the
organization doesn't deserve to exist.

Truman ol' buddy, I have to take issue with you in this matter.

The very first endurance ride I ever saw, I worked communications for
the Alabama 50 as a ham radio operator in 1978.  There were about 25
starters.  One horse died on the trail, another went down on the trail
and died the day after being trailered home.

I don't have the numbers to prove it, but my recollection is that we
had more horse deaths in the 1980's than we do now.

When you have a low probability event (such as a horse death) and the
numbers doubles for two years over the long term average in a row while
the number of starts only goes up by a few percent, that is a dead on
sign that something might be amiss.

Well now, as a successful poker player I know this is totally wrong.
Even low-probability events occur in clusters, and a rash of them
proves nothing at all.  I see this fallacy argued all the time on the
poker-strategy newsgroup.  But I've seen AA, KK and QQ dealt in the
same hand.  I've been eliminated from a tournement by a Royal Flush
beating my Aces Full.

It should surprise no one if we had two years with almost no
fatalities, or two years with twice the "average" number.  It is
almost impossible to know if we have a genuine trend without tracking
numbers (in a consistent way) for a lot more than two years.

How many years are we going to have to see these numbers untill we can
get rid of the "shit happens" excause and start to get serious about
solving it.

Apples and oranges.  Even a single death is a problem, and we must
always seek ways to reduce equine fatalities.  But how many years must
we see an increase in numbers before we know the increase is
statistically meaningful?  A lot more than two.

To go back to the poker analogy.  Most people think the "law of
averages" would even out good and bad streaks fairly quickly.  But
both computer simulations and the experience of many long-time players
shows that hot streaks and losing streaks can last for thousands of
hands.  Again, a thousand rides ... two year's worth ... is not
enough.  Not even close.

I believe that a lot of the perception of things getting worse is due
to the fatalities that have occured at high-profile rides.  As there
are only a few of these rides each year, we won't have a statisticaly
meaningful trend of equine fatalities at these rides in our lifetime.
We could have twice as many next year, or not a single one for the
next ten years, and neither would prove anything.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx