[RC] A year of LD - long - GarnerT

I think a lot has to do with your horse's personality, but what is even more
important, is the age of the horse.  I did a full year of LD on my gelding,
but he was only 4.  I purchased several books on endurance riding &
training, plus I had done a couple of years of LD on 2 other horses while
looking for "the" horse, so I had an idea of what to do for my horse.

It takes more than just a few months training to get those tendons &
ligaments strong, especially on a young horse, so I took a lot of time.
I've also gone slowly with 50s, not doing too many for the first year and
riding slowly.  So far, so good - no pulls, lameness, or metabolic.

I have to agree that sometimes it CAN scramble their little brains, however.
The horror & shock on Taz's face when we left AFTER lunch to do our first 50
was priceless.  It was a death march for the first 20 minutes, with yearning
glances back toward base camp.  After 4 50s, he knows what's going on, and
just goes on out (still not thrilled), but he's a trooper!

I think you have to judge your horse's mental &  physical capabilities
before deciding on a year of LD, or just doing 2 or 3 before moving up.
Also, if you train hard & train a lot, I don't think you need to do a lot of
LDs.  I have a friend who's mare would be a basket case if she had done a
lot of LD on her.  She was older when purchased, so she could move faster
with her.  It just depends.

Kathy & Taz (who would love to go back to LDs)