[RC] Howard...what's your point? - John & Sue Greenall

I am always glad to read what Howard writes because the man
does not mince words.  But...I think, Howard, is that you have
missed the obvious.  It is not the newbie riders who are losing
horses!  The one lost in Vermont last weekend was very tragic and
when I step back and take a look, it is the sport at fault.  Calm
down, I love endurance and I think everyone is trying for the same
goal, the interest of the sport...but the fact remains that we need to
be protected from ourselves..and that goes for the horse too.
The only way I can see that happening is to have more holds.
More holds means more rest time for the horse, more opportunities
for the vets to evaluate the horse and less time on the trail to get
into trouble before it's caught.  Loops of 20+ miles are simply too
long.  The Pan Ams had three loops - 20-20-21 miles.  The
Vermont ride had the first two loops - 18-21 miles.  The horse gets
into a deficit but is willing to go on despite itself.  By the time the
horse or rider recognizes that there is trouble, it can be too late.
No vet can be expected to pull a horse out of metabolic trouble
every time and I feel sorry for those vets that do everything in their
power but cannot save a horse.  I feel even more for the rider who
can second guess themselves forever about what they missed in
their horse before it failed.  I feel the most for the horse because
this is just a game we play and we invite them to join us although
we all fully understand the risks....they do not.

John and Sue Greenall
mailto:greenall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.vermontel.com/~greenall