Re: [RC] a year of 25's - Truman Prevatt

A horse will learn what the rider lets him learn. Some of the best horses I know of started with a period of 25 mile events - either CTR or LD's. I suspect that in pockets like the NE, FL and parts of the MW, most of the good horses did a fair number of 25 mile events prior to moving on to 50 mile rides. The LD can be as good a learing experience and conditioning experience for the horse if done correctly.

It is not uncommon in FL to see world class riders starting their young horses on 25 mile CTR's and saving the endurance rides for the more experienced horses, in fact it is quite common.

I got a couple young ones I'll be riding soon so I'll be doing a year or so of 25 mile events in the near future.

A base is not built mental or physical is not built overnight - in fact it's not build in a year.

Truman

Bob Morris wrote:

It appears what some people are considering in this
discussion is quite different than others. Heidi and others
are considering the horse and others the Riders.

While a particular number of LD's for the rider may be
beneficial, the same number can be detrimental to the
attitude of the horse.

So, in this discussion, which are we considering the most
important?

It is my learned consideration that the rider can obtain the
necessary knowledge with out the actual on horse experience.
There is a plethora of information available. Books written
over the past several decades, manuals produced by the AERC
and the Arabian association, archives of endurance related
forums, ad infinutum ad nauseum. All the rider must do is
make a serious effort to learn.

The horse however, can shortly learn poor habits from
several LD rides. Habits hard to break and detrimental to
the welfare.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises