[RC] Aluminum Trailer Floor Maintenance / Cleaning - Tina Rushing

I have just bought my first (used) aluminum trailer with a aluminum floor.
I am kind of nutty about keeping trailer floors clean.  I'm not obsessive,
but I Iike to keep my trailer reasonably clean.

When I had wood slat floors I would run some boards under the mats to lift
them off the floor, rinse with the hose, and they would dry out beautifully.
It was easy.  I never used shavings.  The trailer always smelled fresh, and
floor was in great shape after years of service.

Aluminum floor trailer does not drain nicely.  I have to use shavings.  Pee
and shavings get under the mats.  The horse compartment reeks.  Attempts to
avoid pulling the mats by running boards under the mats and hosing have been
unsuccessful.  So, a proper cleaning requires pulling the mats, rinsing
mats, allowing mats to dry, and hucking mats back into the trailer.  This is
an ORDEAL and I'm hatin' it.

I am looking to folks on this listserve for clever ideas to make cleaning
easier.

I am considering drilling additional holes in the floor for drainage and
would be grateful for input on this plan.  My mats are "flat", that is,
there are no grooves on the bottom (floor side) as I have had on other
trailers.  I would consider different mats if I have strong assurance that
this would have a significant impact.

My trailer is a '91 Sooner GN 3H SL extra tall and wide.  I really like this
trailer, but bear wrestling would be a nap in the barcalounger compared to
cleaning the floor.  Can you help?

Tina Rushing
El Granada, CA
(please don't suggest I seek professional help, really, I'm fine!!)