[RC] Trail help - k s swigart

Buffy said:

This colt is not currently being trained for endurance
riding.  I have been training him for all around (western
pleasure, hunter under saddle, western riding, etc) with
him.  Trail riding for us right now is simple "pleasure"
trail
riding.
....  I am simply on this list to listen and learn
....  I was simply hoping because of the experience
level on here prehaps I could get some ideas...

Well....as much as you seem unwilling to hear it, what the
experience of most of the people here on this list have been
trying to tell you is that you have been doing too much, too
soon with this young horse.

So, just as an aside, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense
to ask for the opinion of experienced endurance riders of
what your problem is, and when they tell you what they
think, to then respond, but I am not training my horse to be
an endurance horse, so that opinion doesn't apply to me and
my horse in this situation.

However, since I have started lots of horses (including
young QH colts) in lots of disciplines (including such
diverse things as dressage, hunter/jumper, reining, cow
horse, endurance, police horses, and yes, just plain
"pleasure" trail horses), and judging from some of the
things that you have alluded to, but not actually come right
out and said (so I am doing a little bit of assuming here),
I will try to answer your question:

of why
he's having the problems he does on the trails and doesn't
at home training for the show ring.

You do not say how long either the arena training sessions
are, or how long the trail rides are; but your comment about
bringing a portable panel instead of tying to the trailer
suggests to me that your trail rides are all day/over night
excursions, while I consider it unlikely that your home
training sessions last that long.

So it is entirely possible that he is encountering the
evidence of over use (that is what stocking up and a sore
back are, evidence of over use), simply because of the
length (not in miles but in hours) of effort and that to get
these things to go away, you need to shorten the effort.

It is irrelevant that there are other horses (even some of
the same age and same breed) that are not encountering the
same difficulties from doing what appears to be the same
thing (so, yes, this post IS relevant to endurance riding
and endurance riders, because endurance riders often make
the same mistake of thinking that their horse can do it
because the other guy's horse is doing it).

A sore back at the loin (the back of the panels on an
english saddle) is, in fact, a common complaint of even
endurance horses that go out for too long of walks.  Hours
and hours of walking under a rider is extremely hard on a
horse's back, and as a three year old, his back is very much
still in the formative stage (the ~27 joints of a horse's
spine don't "close" until the horse is between 5 and 7 years
old).  If he is long in the loin (which lots of appendix
quarter horses are), this may be a conformational
predisposition that he has that explains why he is having
more of a problem than the other horses doing the same
thing.

Additionally, an english saddle has much shorter panels, and
therefore a much smaller bearing surface than a western
saddle.  So a western saddle, even if it is heavier, may
distribute the rider's weight better, allow him to use his
back better, and reduce the liklihood of making his back
sore. You do not mention what type of tack you are using for
his arena work at home.

You also mention, however, that going down the trail, he
sticks his nose up and hollows his back, while at the same
time, he doesn't do this when you are working him at home.
So yes, this may be why you are having these problems on the
trail but not at home.

You need to stop letting him do this.  It is MORE important
for him to use himself correctly on a long trail ride, than
it is for short workouts in the arena. It is totally counter
productive (even if it weren't giving him a sore back) to
let him use himself in this way, as it will develop all the
wrong muscles and will make it more difficult to get him to
use himself correctly; and you are setting him up for a
life-time of having a sore back no matter what his intended
use.

It is unlikely, at this age and stage of his training, that
you are going to be able to get himself to use himself
correctly all day and/or for multiple days (if I am
understanding your portable panels statement correctly).  So
what I would suggest (if you are determined to take him on
trail rides...which I would rather do than spend a bunch of
time in the arena), is that you take him on trail rides and
make him use himself correctly, but if it gets to the point
where he says, "you know, I just don't have the strength to
keep this up any longer" that you need to STOP (ideally, you
should have stopped before he got to that stage). What you
shouldn't do is let him stick his nose out, hollow his back,
and carry on down the trail.

You may find, that if you make these changes in your trail
riding program to get rid of your horse's sore back, that
the stocking up in the legs goes away by itself, but if it
doesn't, wrapping his legs for the ride is treating the
symptom not the cause, and it isn't what I would recommend.

When (if?) I get around to it, I will compose a second post
that will address how to mitigate the over use of the legs
that is evidenced by the stocking up.  But to do this, it
would help to have more data on how long the trail rides are
(both in miles and in hours), what the terrain and footing
is like, and some information about the conformation of the
horse's legs and feet (including how/if he is shod).

In case you hadn't noticed.  I am also saying  that you are
doing too much, too soon with this horse (possibly because
he is young, but that is obviously not the only reason since
other horses of the same age are not showing the same
problems from the same regime).  However, I hope that in
addition to telling you that you are doing too much, that I
have given you some ideas of what you might want to do
instead.

kat
Orange County, Calif.