Re: [RC] michel bloch/monsieur - Heidi Smith

> They had ridden together on and off through out the day, but Heather had been first before him at the quarry.  As she was leaving the quarry, she had already crossed the line, had her out time, Michel called out "wait for me!" and she smiled and did.  It was apparently a nice, light moment.  But clearly, if she had chosen to go on she would have been several minutes ahead anyway.  But she was gracious also to him.  Something unsaid so far.

>I don't know her personally so I have no interest in protecting her.  That is just what my vet shared with me cause we always "talk tevis" when I see him... He said it was "good sportsmanship" on her part at that moment too.

Just another clarification on this sort of thing.  It is not uncommon to "allow" the other person to go in ahead when they HAVE waited for you at spots, and have helped you to get through, and when they clearly have more horse left than you do.  It is clear that they WOULD have won anyway, and it is simply correct trail etiquette and good sportsmanship not to repay THEIR good sportsmanship by trying to nip them at the finish line.

I've been on the other end of this with Heather, without a single word being spoken.  One year at the Santiam Cascade 100, she tagged up with me at the next-to-last VC at 75 miles.  She was recently out of the junior division herself, and I think it was the little mare's first 100--not positive about that.  Anyway, the mare was discouraged, but not out of gas, and would travel fine with a buddy.  She realized that, and asked if she could ride with me.  I waited a minute for her at the last VC as well, and I had glow sticks and she didn't.  She "rabbited" off of my horse up over Cash Mountain and down.  While it wasn't a question of a win, it WAS a question of who was 10th and who was 11th.  We were riding side by side down a two-track USFS road at the finish, at a walk, and when we got to the finish, she just swung her horse back behind mine, and took the placing behind me without a word being spoken, in acknowledgement of the fact that I had done HER a favor by not going off and leaving her on a tired mare in the dark.  That's an example of the kind of sportsmanship that makes endurance riding special.

With all the talk of late about overriding horses, treatments, and deaths, isn't it nice to see folks who openly acknowledge their horses' relative capabilities and who can ride together and sort that out without running both horses into the ground over it?  In view of the discussion regarding people who override their horses, perhaps more folks should take a leaf off of this situation and follow a good example, instead of chastizing the pair for not racing.  (Howard, are you listening?)

Heidi