Re: [RC] Multi Day Rides in the East - goearth

Hello Kat,  Thought I'd respond to your questions as a past RM of Multi -Day Rides in the East.  We thought of it back in the 80's here in Va.  We came up with a 4 day 200 at the Ft. Valley Ride after doing a 2 day 100 and then a 3 day 150 in previous years to try and build support.  At the 4 day there were 8 starters with one finisher that the Vets would not give BC because the horse was not worthy in their opinion.  So, my thoughts would be that ...Yes it has been thought of,  Yes there are trails, at least here in Va., its just too hard and grueling, and Yes there was not the interest of riders due to the severity of trail.  The S2S is about the only one I remember that has gone on for a long time and from what I can remember its tough because of the sand.  What it does take,   that is lacking in the East is a person or people with the commitment to do Multi -Day Rides which are in my opinion a better test of horse and rider than even a 1 day 100.  We just don't have any Crocketts or Randys or Ducks out here, only Wayne at the S2S.  The Ft. Valley Ride has 3 days and the course is breathtaking, the management is superb, the vets are top notch, the people are great and  anyone with the inclination should attend and support it.  And anyone, especially in the South East, that has an interest in MultiDays should take it upon themselves to do it  knowing they will probably loose money, become physically exhausted over the course of time, and give back to the sport  in the form of Multi-Days.  But I don't think it will ever be popular out here because of severity of trail, climatic conditions and support of riders, tho I would love to be proven wrong.  tom sites