Re: [RC] Most Coveted Award - Joe Long

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:20:50 -0400, "oddfarm" <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It could be something to aspire to, but would it be worth it? Would you
still have a sound horse at the end? Would your husband and children
recognize you when you "popped in" to do laundry and check ride camp? How
much do you love your trailer that you will be living in most of the time?

Seriously, it would be a great goal to shoot for, if you lived somewhere
else besides Florida, or if you didn't have to work, raise kids and take
care of a farm.

How DID you do that, Joe??

At the time I lived in northern Alabama, and other than no multidays
nearby that gave me a lot of rides within a one-day drive.  (The 10K
miles are all endurance rides, 50's count.)  I also worked at a
community college which gave me a flexible work schedule, and I made
two summer-long trips travelling around the country going to rides
(alas, in the days before Pioneer rides).

I'd like to correct two things about the "Perfect Ten" award, though:

The placing requirement is ten First Place finishes, not ten Top Ten
finishes.

Both the First Places and the Best Conditions have a qualifier, that
they must be earned against fields of at least ten horses.  That is,
ten horses started the ride for B.C. to count, or started in that
division for First Place to count (weight division or Junior
division).

The reason for that is that the award is a lifetime award for
outstanding performance in all the major aspects of endurance:  miles,
years, and racing.  It recognizes the horse that is successful on many
fronts, and keeps going year after year.

BTW, Kahlil is temporarily boarded at Bobby Richine's Rocky Mountain
Training Center.  Kat and I sold our property and are looking for new
horse property, and in the meantime are living in an apartment (of all
things)!  I chose RMTC because if he can't be right outside my kitchen
window, I want him to be where I know he's getting lots of TLC.

Oh, one more thing:  my number-one wish in endurance is to have
*another* "Perfect Ten."  Dreaming?  Maybe.  But "A man's reach must
exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?"

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx