[RC] starving and stifles - GoTory

I did research the archives and found some great information there.... BUT-
am wondering if anyone has additional recommendations for loose stifles that
may have been caused by extreme rapid weight loss.
I've gotten a 5 yr old mare whose recent history is vague.  She was rehabbed
starting in the spring in terms of feeding and light conditioning when I got
her in July.  Apparently was "neglected" most if not all of last winter in
terms of feeding and care and was profoundly underweight.  However she passed a
vet check OK and I was hoping to set sights for 50's sometime next year.
This past month, however, she has had 3 episodes of coming to a complete stop
and not wanting to move... then does so very stiffly in the hind legs, to the
point of not even wanting to step up a few inches.  First time was at liberty
after stopping to stretch and urinate, second time out on the trail after
"dancing" and playful little bucks on the trail coming home, and third time
after
playing and racing in the arena...
Chiro came out Thurs and said "loose stifles"....did some adjustments and
some electric muscle therapy, recommended 3 days of rest on the flat, then slow
rehabbing with ground work and cavalettis.
Got her in a flat large paddock that night, but she broke thru the fence and
ran with a buddy in the next paddock all night....sigh...
S0- am in need of help/advice/suggestions.... she didnt do this the first 2
months... could lack of exercise contribute to this?  Could saddle fit be a
contributing factor?
Has anyone tried using DMSO with peanut oil applied  topically as an
alternative to injections?  (Chiro said the vets are now injecting with peanut
oil as
an alternative to the iodine or other irritants which cause thickening of the
ligaments....)
Thanks in advance!        nikki