Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] loop and hold lengths; philosophy - John Teeter

> The point is not to PUNISH one but not the other, the
> point is to find out why it happened, and what could have been done to prevent it.
> jeri

I agree. The only punishment AERC can dole out is to restrict membership and to modify ride history. There is nothing else.

It is silly to dwell on punitive measures at the expense of helping members (old and new) to be better at the sport. Bob pointed to the 20% of the membership (which is, I think, WAY too large a number) who need to be cleansed (which means they need to be made aware that their actions are hurting their horses consistently and they need to be made to care enough to change or to choose a different sport, maybe motorcycle racing?). But really it is all of us. We all need to be made more aware.

But punishment per se is the wrong place to dwell.

Get better data (focus on the front end, starts/pulls/treatments). Change the DB to allow collection of the right data. and focus on the acquisition of that data through ride results. Report the mile at which the pull occurred, report the pulse-down time. report the number and location of the vet gates, report the treatment types for all treatments (both field and clinical) and get all that info into the DB for further analysis.

There is an issue of vet cards before the board at this meeting. The information on the Vet card should be placed in the DB! It is lost (to the organization) now:(

(to the tech committee - work more on the meat of the tech rather than the flash - the DB is wanting - the reporting system is archaic) - nice menu system though:)

sigh....

jt.