From: "Hilga Hoefkens" <hilga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Nik Isahak Abdullah'" <drnikisahak@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: Conditioning Miss Gedebe
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:05:52 +0200

Hi Nik,
this is a tricky question as I do not know your horse, her conditioning
up to now, her special problems, her background, and after all I have
not been to Dubai (so far ;-) and don´t know about the race conditions
there.

As I see it your first hurdle is the qualification. You need her to
complete a 100 miler, and I would not wait too long before trying that.
Don´t wait for the one that might be organised in My, as it well might
be cancelled again, and then what would you do? You can´t be sure it´ll
work out at first try. Would be a pitty if she could not make it for any
minor reason and you would not have the time for another try.
Good about that: You see how she handles a 100m and as you obviously
have to ship her out of country for that, you´ll learn about her coping
with long time transport too.
Preparing for that and for Dubai I am sure you already condition her
throughout having laid down lsd and being advanced to interval and
competition specific work. So maybe now it´s the time to look for her
"holes" and work on them.
As I understand you don´t have to worry about season and weather in
respect to training, footing and winter coat. Still I would adwise not
to keep her in prime condition all the time, but doing ups and downs,
giving her hard training and extended holidays over the year. But then
maybe we get too much used to this schedule due to climate changes over
the year.
So all I can do to that respect is, tell you my plans:
Start early into next season and get my "have to do`s" done nicely to
qualify. Give her a break after that and bring her back to hard training
2 months prior to Dubai if we get selected. My "have to do´s" are CEI
**** la Burgue in April, CEI** in Aachen as testride for next years
German Champs and WC in 2006, German Champ in late July or early August.
I´ll try to fill that up with other rides, to a competition every 4 to 6
weeks between April and August. We will see how the dates will come
together.
My and Paminas "holes" are: We have a hard time turning her fitness into
speed at rides as she gets screwed up mentally if I go fast. So I need
to get her used to staying calm with more speed and I´ll try to go for
tougher races where she can roll up the field from behind in the second
half, as everybody else gets tired (in that respect maybe Dubay will not
be "my race" anyway). That´s much better than finishing in the middle of
the pack with a near runaway over the finishline. My hole: I have to
shorten the recovery times in gates. That needs some more slowing down
before we get there (ahem, see above for being screwed up), more
aggressive cooling most times (weathers), a little more daring and
gambling, going for intime with her pulse still above 60. At the moment
I go in at 60 or lower, and the she´ll have 56 or 52 as we are there.
That´s a waste of time.

All these things may or may not apply to you, but my point is: you´ll
only see these things as you compete your horse, so go for it. Don´t
wait for the big day and find out then.

BTW, if anybody (Steph?) has any ideas or comments about my plans,
please let me know. I am still a relative beginner, only doing Endurance
since 98 and so far only on one horse.

Best regards and happy trails

Hilga

_________________________________________________________________ Are you in love? Find a date on MSN Personals http://match.msn.com.my/