Re: [RC] ? for Susan, nutritional expert, Heidi, or whomever - Heidi Smith

>I have a friend who told me that by mistake double the amount of soybean was put into her feed.  Now her horses have skin problems including a form of scratches as well as rain rot.  She thinks it is from too much soy from something she read.  It is my feed formula that she uses.  I got it from my vet over 20 years ago.  His special interest was nutrition and I also took my formula to the extention office for it to be analyzed.  There is 20 pounds of soybean meal to 1000 pounds of oats and grain.  We both live in the same area, have gone thru the same wet weather, horses are out 24/7.  My guys have no problems, all her guys have some kind of skin problem.  The only difference in the grain is the biotin that she has added as well as double the amount of soybean meal.  I have never heard of anything like this.  I would suspect that the extra soybean meal might be her problem since it is the only thing different.  Any ideas?

I'm no expert on soybean meal (perhaps Susan will comment further) but I'd be more inclined to think that the above symptoms would more likely be due to something that her hay/forage is subtly lacking that yours is not--selenium, zinc, and vitamin A come to mind.

Heidi