Home Shop Classified News, Stories Events Education Ridecamp Videos Cartoons AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

[RC] Riding-not Racing - Jerry & Susan Milam

Well, for all you out there in endurance land, FlyBye finished a 50 miler dead last this past weekend. We started at 7:15 and finished at 5:15. What an enjoyable ride and I'm not even a bit sore! For those of you who haven't followed my problems, the short of it is my horse won''t take care of himself at rides but likes to go fast. Many made suggestions of how to fix the problems and here is the result.
This happened with the help of a good friend who also wanted to ride her horse slowly for his first 50 at the MW Mountain Quest Ride in Prairie duChien WI.
It was a spectacular ride with about 1000 ft of  elevation changes, lots of ups and downs on the mountains and field riding as well. The only down side was there was no water on the trail and at least 2 of the 4 loops for the 50 had now water provided as promised. It was however well worth the 8 hours in the trailer to get there. The ride temps started off in the 30's and it warmed up to 50 something by the end of the ride.
The vets made some chiding comments when the last three of us riders crossed the finish line, but my goals were achieved.  FlyBye stopped and chowed down on grass,  grabbed a few corn husks and drank like he has never done since we started this sport.  I saw so much more of the gorgeous trail than I would have had we been doing our 10 MPH loops. I had a lot of fun riding slowly but I didn't enjoy the same excitement that comes with the speed thing. I didn't remember to be efficient in the holds either because of the more relaxed pace. It was a very different ride indeed. I'm so glad I was able to do it.
Fly's gut sounds were not A's but we ended up with a B at the end of it and all other parameters were A which is definitely an improvement. Electrolyting was only done twice with PNW in his beet pulp slurry at holds and I maaloxed him also at all three holds. I think he does better without the heavy elytes. The only thing that did not improve was drinking in camp. He hardly touched either water bucket (1 brought from home and 1 from camp) during the 3 days we were there. It's a good thing he likes soaked beet pulp and drank on trail 2 of the 4 loops. Any ideas about how to impprove the drinking in camp anyone?
Thanks to all of you out there that encouraged us to slow down and smell the roses. We'll do it again!

In His Hands,

Susan, Fly Bye & Dandy

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    -Gandalf the Grey from Lord of the Rings