[RC] new riders/2 cents worth/shoes, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

well, for me, i learn better by doing.  when i got started, my horse was in pretty good condition, because of lots of trail riding and then preparation for ctr.  i didnt really do much research, just started doing ld rides.  i didnt even know what the vet check procedure was.  i watched and learned, asked a few questions, got out there, started riding, and got involved.  that worked better for me. my wife, kathi lee, is the coach/ground crew/brains of the outfit.  i just love to ride, i mean REALLY LOVE TO RIDE!  i read about a lot of people on ridecamp who want to ride, but for some reason just dont seem to have the confidence to try it yet.  you can study and research all you want too, but until you get out there and ride, you just dont know what it is like.  doesnt make me right and you wrong, just makes us different.  so, i say, go ride! take it easy on you and your horse, then if you have a good horse and want to go faster, work you way up to it. i have ridden for 2 1/2 years now, no pulls yet!  no shoes on my horse either, except for the hungry buzzard last year, lots of rocks!   ed kilpatrick and gorgeous george(danged old mustang!)