[RC] My $.02 on New Riders - Lisa M Pardus

While there is a big concern, and rightly so, about "new rider"
problems; we need to remember not ALL new riders go off half cocked. I
did research, I actively looked for knowledgeable horsemen and farriers
in my area. I finally went to a ride in the hopes of FINDING someone to
mentor me. I had a TERRIBLE experience and will NEVER ride in a CTR
because of it! I was there, because I was LOOKING for practical
information and wasn't getting any from anyone around where I live. I
found someone who was willing to "help" me, however this "helpful" person
had almost KILLED her horse the year before by NOT E'lyting it during a
3-day 100! Of course I found this out AFTER she had me in tears, implying
I WAS an uncaring, selfish person who shouldn't even THINK about riding
without going through about a year or two of volunteer work at rides!
(Dare I even mention this person is the wife of a vet and should have
known better herself?!?!)
Because of Susan's research,  her site, and her posts here, my first
COMPLETED 25 saw us with only one B in BOTH vet checks. That "B" was for
attitude at the end, as my girl was VERY tired (although she was
interested and looking around with pricked ears, eating and drinking
fine, she just didn't want to trot ONE MORE STEP!) The next day, she was
ready to go again!
Thank you SUSAN!!!! I would LOVE to see some sort of mentor program for
new riders. This list is certainly a great thing, but pairing new riders
with experienced ones would go a LONG way towards solving the part of the
problem.
I am by no means experienced, but I have learned a lot. I look forward
to starting my season in December and sharing what I have learned, and
learning MUCH more! I always offer my email address and phone number to
new riders for any questions they might have. Stay available, friendly
and helpful on all fronts.

In His Hands,
Lisa P.     www.outbackacres.com
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin