Re: [RC] competition vs. trail rides - sharp penny

 Gary, Hi!
 I'm a bit behind on reading RC..just came back from doing
two 50's at Llano Estacado in Amarillo, Tx.
 I liked your post and agree with your point. However you
don't have to be a "hot shoe" to top ten a ride. And most
of the consistant top tenners I've seen thoughout my
limited 2 years of doing endurance rides end up with happy
healthy horses.
 Even a relatively new person to the sport can top ten
without even intending to at the beginning of the ride. My
first top ten was ridden with a mentor (who often top
tenned). We started at the back of the pack and both of us
wanted just a completion. I had a horse with a previous
sore back and his horse had hoof problems at previous
rides. The trail dictated our speed..as the trail dried out
our speed increased. In the end we top tenned and had happy
healthy horses. My current top ten as at the ride this
weekend. I started 15 mins behind everyone for *mind
training* reasons, rode the ride solo and at a pace that
was consistant with MY horses' training. Ended up 7th that
day and 8th overall for the two days. Again, not planning
on top tenning just riding my horse within his capabilities
on that day over that trail (something learned from a
mentor)
 My point being you can be competitive in endurance and
not race or be a "hot shoe"
 IMO the well known "hot shoes" are just so high profile
that when they have the occasional "s@*t happens" everyone
hears of it and because they consistantly top ten everyone
assumes it is because of speed. Alot of times it just ain't
so... when you look at the law of averages it dosn't
surprise me when they have the horse that is compromised
considering the amount of competition miles they have under
their belts. I also don't really consider these people "hot
shoes" as they are riding at the speed they and their
horses have trained for. Everyone has an occasional error
in judgement..theirs are glareingly visible. The people I
think of as "hot shoes" are the relatively new to the sport
(less than 5 years competeing) people that try to run with
the high profile people on horses that aren't ready for
this level of intensity. I suspect when the numbers are
crunched there will be more compromised horses found at the
lower profile rides than the top elite rides.

AGAIN JMO
Penny

--- Gary Daniels <gdaniels@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 After
reading some of the
e-mails on ride-camp, one should almost be afraid to
ATTEMPT to be
competitive at the next endurance ride, or else one may
be considered
"irresponsible" or not taking care of their horse........

http://shopping.yahoo.com