[RC] competition vs. trail rides - Gary Daniels

Oh boy, I can already see that I should not have mingled into this debate, however, I would like to gather some opinions out there.  There seems to be a very sore subject regarding the COMPETITION of endurance.  After the incidence at PAC, a number of endurance riders showed their rather “disapproval” towards the “hot shoes” of our sport.  If you look at my record, I obviously don’t have many competitive endurance miles, but I do look up to certain heroes that many of you claim are “not” heroes.  Many of them are indeed “hot-shoes”.  After reading some of the e-mails on ride-camp, one should almost be afraid to ATTEMPT to be competitive at the next endurance ride, or else one may be considered “irresponsible” or not taking care of their horse.

Folks, there is competitive trail riding out there, where from what I understand, they deduct points off your score if you go too fast.  There are also numerous of riding clubs that have their Sunday afternoon rides.  Perfect for those who like to take their horses out on the trails without pushing them hard and as many of you say “keep them happy”.  Why then are we even participating in endurance rides?  Why are we even giving out awards for first place?  I mean, what do I not understand?

Endurance riding is a VERY difficult sport, because you have to know the fine line between allowing your horse to push himself, be competitive, do the best that your horse has trained to do, and yet still keep your horse within the limits of physical and metabolic soundness.  It is difficult.  Yes, let’s definitely recognize our heroes that have kept their horses sound and healthy for years and years and have excellent completion records, but let’s DO recognize our “hot-shoes” that are able to do the same.  Do you know how much discipline, knowledge, persistence, patience, and time it takes to become a Valary Kanavy or Beverly Gray, or any other successful endurance hero?  It takes more than many of you may realize.  My biggest respect goes to those who dare to enter this sport and COMMIT themselves to the sport and to their horses, help our sport grow, assist us with new knowledge, and keep their horses healthy and happy.

Sorry if I offended anybody, but I just got thru reading an e-mail from some lady who doesn’t seem to have any respect towards those that work very, very hard at becoming the best in this sport.  My respect goes towards anybody that rides to finish.  It should be all of our goals.  But if you are fortunate thru hard work to even top 10, hey….well done.

To anybody out there who doesn’t believe that there should be any awards given to the “hot shoes” that finished somewhere in the front, ask yourself if you are involved in the right sport.  Perhaps endurance should not exist at all – perhaps we should just do competitive trail riding and judge our horses based on how pretty and happy they are.  And yes, target firmly in place.

DBL Realtors