Re: [RC] When the event ends & jugging - RONALD SANCHES

I am far more interested in riders who insist that their horses be treated at rides as they know when this is the best and proper option for their horses, rather than be more concerned about the growing trend to attach "shame" to this issue and leave the decision entirely up to the ride veterinarians.   If your horse has an absence of motility and has not been eating or drinking on the trail, if your horse has tied up or urinated dark urine or is exhibiting other signs of metabolic distress, what in the world do you think your horse requires?  Be tired to the trailer, placed in the trailer for several hours, be stashed somewhere in the bushes so no one can see you, wait until you nit pick with the veterinarians whether this is "rider option" or not or do you step up to the plate because you have discussed with your own veterinarians and have educated yourself about treatment options.  The best riders I know are those who have no hesitation about pulling their own horses and insist upon veterinary care.  Abusive riders are one thing.  This growing trend to view horses being treated with IV fluids as a bad and shameful thing is another and frankly scares me - mainly on behalf of the horses whose owners
are more concerned about being "ashamed" than the welfare of their horses.
People need to be encouraged to seek and request treatment options and perhaps in some areas demand it, rather than fear some letters after their name in the Endurance News or what people will think if their horse receives IV fluids at a ride.  I spent the last 4 years working in an equine hospital and have assisted at my share of colic surgeries and treatments for colic or severe metabolic problems.    It is a wonderful thing to see horses recover with IV fluid administration.  Perhaps "know your horse" needs to be expanded to "know what your horse needs and why" and make sure the options are available for him.  Rider education should also include where to leave your ego once you enter a ride.  Barbara Sanches - AERC #2273