[RC] When the event ends & jugging - KimFue

I think having horses be required to stay overnight is really unnecessary.  I think horses that are metabolically compromised can be asked/required to stay if the ride vet make the request.  Couldn't a protest be filed if a rider  does not follow instructions from the ride vet?  We really need to make an effort to encourage riders to seek early treatment/advise from the vets after completion.  I think the subject of IVing horses has drifted to the extreme when I hear discussion about routinely jugging a horse after a ride to recover...for what...the next event or to make up for over riding?  I know that is not what I was referring to when I mentioned IVing.  Many times if a horse is uncomfortable after a competition, a rider has the choice to try to walk the horse out of it, hope that the cramp or whatever passes, or let the horse try to rehydrate on it's own.  Or the rider can consult with the vet and perhaps have fluids administered.  In my opinion, this would not be for the benefit of the rider (meaning so they can compete sooner or get away with over riding) but for the comfort and the health of the horse.  Why should the horse have to suffer longer so the rider can claim their horse did not need invasive treatment?  I think this should be the bottom line!
    I would rather see a rider get a completion and agree to have their horse treated early even if it is on an IV line 1.5 hours after it crosses the finish line if it will keep others from hiding their horse's problem.  I agree with those that feel that if their horse requires treatment after a ride the rider needs to take responsibilty for their horse's condition.  Riders who feel this way have the option of asking the ride manager to pull their completion.  I have done this because the AERC COMPLETION is not as important to me as my definition of completion which does not involve treatment. Even though I feel this way I would not want this to be required.
    I really believe that most horses are over ridden unintentionally.  This does not excuse the rider but should motivate the rider to really soul search, investigate, and educate himself as to why this may have occurred and adjust their program to lower the chance of this happening again.  Most riders I know that have had to have a horse treated go through the process I mention above.  As a group whether on ridecamp or as an organization I think it is extremely important NOT stigmatize riders whose horse would benefit from treatment.    I think peer pressure from fellow riders, the Horse Welfare Committee, and finally the Protest process can address riders who over ride their horses on a regular basis.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648