Re: [RC] [Guest] Adios/Metabolic failures@ PAC - Joe Long

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:23:57 EDT, Sundaez@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 9/28/2003 5:14:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jlong@xxxxxxxx
writes:
Because it would have been easy for someone seeing him with the IV in
his neck to say "Oh, that poor, overridden horse, he must be at
death's door!"

Call me idiotic, ignorant, naive, newbie...whatever you like, but any sport
that requires an IV at the end to "feel better" seems a bit extreme to me.

I won't call you any of those things, but it does seem that you missed
the point I was trying to make.

Have you ever participated yourself in any distance sport, like
running marathons?  I have.  At the end you feel tired and exhilarated
at the same time.  The effort has inevitably caused some depletions of
bodily fluids, and replacing those fluids does, yes, make you feel
better.  Not because you were sick, or in danger of dieing, or
anything like that.  Just like a cold beer or a good soak in a hot tub
makes you feel better!

Note that the IV in  this case was NOT "required," and it was the only
time he had one in 11,525 miles of rides.

Now, you may think I'm a "bad guy" for wanting to do something that
made my horse feel better after he cramped following a ride, that's up
to you, but I don't.

Maybe I need to stick to trail riding?

Nope, just don't be judgemental of that which you haven't experienced
yourself, please.

I think some of you hard core folk have forgotten how shocking this could
appear...and SHOULD appear...to some of newer folk.

I was all too aware of that ... why do you think I was embarrassed?  I
knew the "old hands" would understand, but that there would be some
(especially non-endurance people) who wouldn't.  As you just
demonstrated.

Really...is there any other sport that does this?? Am I just being super
sheltered?

Many sports do more.  Many human athletes in high-level sports
practice "blood doping" where they have their own blood taken well in
advance of an event, stored, and put back just before the event.  No
endurance rider does this, AFAIK.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx