Re: [RC] Timex GPS - Klc5355

       I have had mine for a couple of months, I really like it. It is easy to use and is pretty comfortable on your arm. I have tested it in my truck and it is very accurate for speed and distance, under those conditions. It appears to make corrections about every 15 seconds, it takes that long to register speed changes. On the trail it is close. I have checked trails that I have marked in my truck and know the distances. If there are a lot of switchbacks or you are in deep canyons ect. I find it to be about 10% short on distance and probably the same on speed. I wouldnt mark trail with it, but it is great for getting a better feel for how fast your horse actually travels at different paces, and for knowing your conditioning distances. I used it at Death Valley and it was great to have, I had a better feel of when I was due to come up on the water stops and vet checks, Jackies distances are pretty close to w hat she says they are. It will give you your average speed so it can be handy to pace your ride with. You will go through a set of batteries every day, 3 AAA. But for a 140.00 it is a pretty nice unit.
Ken Cook, AERC West