Re: Re:Re:Re: [RC] 100 Milers - superpat

Angie says:

I assume you mean me.  Let me explain. Starting horse with good steady
competition...getting some solid miles on him..doing 50s successfully until
you and your horse are comfortable with that, then moving up to try
completing a 100 is GOOD.

Buying a horse, putting 90 days training on him to get the recoveries
going, running at the front in a few races till the lack of base shows up in
the legs is BAD.  The real thing people should fear is speed, not distance.
Funny thing, my horse never really showed much speed till he did distance.
He was just a solid completer till he did his first 100 then suddenly
decided he was a fairly quick 50 horse.

Thank you Angie!!!!
I have seen this happen too many times in the nine or so years I have been
playing this game. Well....truth be told, I did something like that to my
just turned five year old when I frist began riding. Lucky for him, I was
not running fast or in front but just putting too many 50 milers on him in a
very short space of time. I thought that because his recoveries were
excellent, all was well. WRONG. I just wonder what would have been the
injury if I had been running him hard and fast?
So when I read someone on Ride Camp offering a "word to the wise" I do not
see it as anything but experience trying to help prevent a bad experience
for someone else. Although there is on occassion a bit of mean spirited
debate on this site, by and large, I feel that it is a sharing and helpful
forum. But as they say, "wisdom is in the ear of the recipient"....or
somehting like that?
Pat