Re:Re:Re: [RC] 100 Milers - Jennifer Judkins

Angie, I absolutely did not mean you!  I find your post very clear, fair and understandable.  Yours just happened to be the post I was responding to.  I do understand the differentiation you are trying to make, but some people, particularly newbie lurkers might not and this might lead to some reticence on their part to advance.  (And just to avoid misinterpretation, I'm not referring to myself either.  Manny and I will get there as soon as I'm sure we're ready, criticism or no)

'I assume you mean me. Let me explain. Starting horse with good steady competition...getting some solid miles on him..doing 50s successfully until you and your horse are comfortable with that, then moving up to try completing a 100 is GOOD.

Buying a horse, putting 90 days training on him to get the recoveries going, running at the front in a few races till the lack of base shows up in the legs is BAD. The real thing people should fear is speed, not distance. Funny thing, my horse never really showed much speed till he did distance. He was just a solid completer till he did his first 100 then suddenly decided he was a fairly quick 50 horse.

I cannot think of anyone that I have ever tried to discourage from advancing. I hope I try to help others up, not discourage them. If warning someone that the route they're taking may look shorter but is more than likely a dead end is unkind...I wish someone had been unkind to me a few times. Could have saved *me* some dead ends.

Angie'

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com