[RC] 100 milers, gator run - Darolyn Butler-Dial

Hi all,
One thought on the 100 milers is the demise of the ROC I believe.  I truly
think that a lot of the people that rode 100's back in the 80' & early 90's
were intent on getting their qualification for the annual Race of Champions
which required at least 2 100's, can't remember for sure.  I feel there was
a definite decline after that race ended.  The Intl. riding has probably
contributed to keeping the 100's primarily alive... I'd hate to think what
wud happen 2 them if those qualifications didn't exist.

GATOR RUN:
What a fun ride for the winter time.  Connie & Mike Caudill did a superb job
of managing, laying out the track & had a great vet team on  board too.
Just as you feel the long sand roads are a bit boring, along comes a series
of belly deep swamp ponds to navigate.  No one spotted a 'gator", but that
was just because it was to dang cold... I know, I hate to whine when I hear
about the temps else where.. we were only having to decide whether to wear
the light jacket or a double shirt.

& of course for us "barefooters", of which there were several, it was the
creme 'd creme of courses.  Hard packed enough to give us some "hoof
mechanism", but noooo rocks at all to watch for.   I mentioned to Connie &
Mike that this wud b a perfect course to run in October for a demo ride for
the World 2004.  Its n Dubai in the heat/sand again.  This course would be
about as close as u cud get to a run similar to the world course.  Just a
thought!
Hope to see everyone on trail this year.
dare
Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
     CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE
Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease. Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding
* Training*Lessons
ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")
21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338          Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax
281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768
     e mail: darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/