Re: [RC] 100 mile rides/humbled - SandyDSA

In a message dated 1/20/2003 7:07:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

He can do several days in a row
and he can probably go on forever at 50's but in the bottom of my heart
I am not sure he would make a good 100 mile horse. In that case it's not
fair to push it. When the filly gets to about 8 or 9 (she'll be four
soon and her mother did 100's just fine), I'll see what she is made of
but till then I'm content to do 50's.

What a wonderfully kind, mature and informed attitude! THANK YOU! It is indeed a truth that is often ignored that horses, just like people, have their physical (and mental) strengths and weaknesses. The very best 50 miler may NOT be a 100 miler candidate - and visa versa. The physical qualities desired by both - not to mention the mental - are diverse enough to separate the two quite often. The toughest decision for people to make it seems is to....wait. Frankly, we can't afford to go buy the top notch winning horses in ANY field - never have. But over teh years, with experience with both people and animals in the motor development and phys of ex field, choosing prospects is something we do exceptionally well. Not to just toot our own horn, but to encourage people to choose this route, not only will it speak even better of your skills but of your judgment when you can select a prospect and then bring him/her along to amount to something. Easy to BUY a "made" show or sport horse, but what a special surprise to select a young horse a nd develop that horse.

So party on! Watch and wait - do everything right as you go along and see what happens - but never lose that wonderful attitude of pursuing a horse's giftedness - instead of your own pride.