[RC] [Guest] 10+ Years Horses - Ridecamp Moderator

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith mkrumlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Wasn't feeling well so I ended up on Ridecamp instead of riding and noticed the post on 10+ year horses. I think if we knew the statistics everyone would be pleasantly surprised. You have to remember that 95% of the AERC Membership doesn't make it to the regional or national standings page. Not that I'm complaining, I've been there and enjoyed it. The point I wanted to make is that there are many, many un-sung heros of the sport that never finish Top 10 but are out there going and going and going....on the same horse year after year. We're lucky enough to have two of them in our barn. With luck I hope to have several more.

Bacch-Tobheem+/ "Tob" or various other names we won't repeat on ride camp started doing CRTs and I believe his first LD's at the age of 4. Tob is now 20 and has survived two broken legs, three torn tendons, and now this past summer colic surgery. (all injuries were the result of stupid horse moments in the pasture by the way, not competition.) This horse STILL wants to go down the trail and is very close to his 5,000 mile mark, though most of these miles are CTR and LD. At the age of 19 he was still winning CTR Championships and Regional Championships. He came back so well from the colic surgery we were getting him ready to start an easy 50 this fall. Then he cast himself in a stall and injured his shoulder....horses...

MCD Tara+ "Pete" is a mare I started at 6, she's now 16 and I'm still hoping to get several 100's out of her in the next few years. She's only 15 miles away from her 3,000 mile mark though about half of her miles are CTR. I think I'll be able to hit 3,000 AERC miles on her and see her being ridden into her early 20's. At 16 she is still getting stronger.

Jim Rogan's BeeZar (I think/hope I'm spelling that correctly)is the reining "King" in our area. I'm pretty sure Jim was riding BeeZar when I started distance riding about 17 years ago. BeeZar is now 22 I believe and last year finished the AERC National Championship 100 mile Ride. Anyone who has riden the trails used for that event know it's not easy. I know he has a combination of over 6,000 miles of competition, though some are CTR, I believe most are endurance.

I'm sure there are many, many more.

Mollie Krumlaw-Smith #8945
(who was drug kicking and screaming into endurance by Mike & Connie Caudill...though Mike's laughter will ring in my ears forever...it was very good call.)