Re: [RC] Blanketing...was New to sport too - Diane - Heidi Smith

I HAVE noticed that the first horses to get chilled are the
two we compete on...quite an interesting point Carol has!  What does
everyone else think of that theory?  We don't usually blanket but when
it's
damp, I will go ahead and blanket Malik nowadays so he doesn't get chilled
to the point of shivering...I used to think what a wussy.  But now I think
Carol is right and perhaps we have conditioned their bodies to cool down
so
much and not retain heat that blanketing may be inevitable at some
point...I
am interested to see what others have to say...

Most likely, you have "conditioned" the insulation off of them (even if they
have decent body scores) rather than having "conditioned" them to be colder
per se.

Best thing in response to cold weather is LOTS of feed, and add some protein
for the heat of digestion.  I know lots of folks in Texas who don't have to
blanket when that occasional ice storm and week of "real winter" hits--their
horses handle it just fine with an increase in feed.  But that said, there
ARE occasional individuals that just can't hack it, for whatever reason.  Am
sure glad I don't own one!

I did buy one of those unfortunates that was being kept as a hothouse plant
one time.  We picked him up in February or early March, and had to keep him
blanketed at night until April or so.  But that was 6 years ago, and he
hasn't worn a blanket since, except when tied to a trailer at rides.

Heidi