Re: [RC] Too much pee/poop? - Heidi Smith

>Can a horse do the above too much for a future in endurance riding?  I watch my friend's horse, a seven year old Arabian gelding, who will pee at least two times and pass manure 10-15 times in an hour and half ride.  Oh , the manure is always runny, mushy and very wet.  His manure in the paddock is always normal.  This horse has a healthy appetitie and drinks well.  When we return home its obvious he really wants to pee while he's on the cross ties and will fuss until someone holds a bucket under him (he hates to splash himself).

Well, yes and no...

A horse with a properly filled hindgut WILL pass manure with considerable frequency under saddle.  But that said--it SHOULD be of a normal consistency.  If it is not (and what you describe is not), the horse is losing fluids and lytes that he shouldn't be losing.  The question is WHY is he doing this?  Does he have an underlying gut problem of some sort?  (I don't know Dr. Henneman, but she brought up some very good points in her recent post with regard to what antibiotics and stresses can do to the gut flora, leaving a horse that is "normal" but not really quite right.)  So I'd suggest exploring such areas as dental care, possibly a purge deworming, possibly some dietary changes, and most likely some probiotics.  And some diagnostics might be in order as well--to see if there is a low-grade ulcer, etc.

With regard to urination--are the kidneys concentrating properly?  Might be worth checking out.

That said--I also think some individuals simply get so "wired" about doing anything that their metabolic functions are upset in the process.  Like Type A people, they probably continually jolt themselves with adrenaline when working, and that triggers all sorts of hormonal responses in the body that may not be conducive to long-term work.  And I think this trait also tends to run in families.  We see it reflected in heart rates as well--the ones that DON'T jolt themselves with adrenaline can be suspiciously checking out the "new place" at a vet check, or calling to a buddy, or whatever, but their heart rates are not particularly elevated by all the "goings-on."  On the other hand, the "Type A" ones may have heart rates go sky high just because a buddy left, or a strange horse walked by, or something blew by in the wind.  If that is the case with this horse, he may not be as well suited to distance riding as some.

Heidi