Re: [RC] Adios - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Well, as I recall, she did mention about the elytes she >gave before the
horse left, and at the event. I am not >pointing fingers at all, like the
rest of us, I am trying to >discern something that I feel is worthy of
discussion, no >matter whose horse we are talking about.

Don't get so defensive, please.  I'm also discussing the topic at hand,
including flaws in your reasoning.

I don't feel that the elyte question should be shoved >under the rug, I
feel as Heidi and Gene Nance do, that >we should step back and see what the
pros and cons >are to all of this electrolyting.

No one is shoving anything "under the rug".  I'm stating my view, which I
think is a fairly qualified one, on whether or not Adios was
over-electrolyted.

We know it causes ulcers and not only in the stomach.

Probably true, although I'm not aware of anything other than gastric ulcers,
and even that is still somewhat conjecture.  On the other hand, elytes also
prevent arrythmias, diaphragmatic flutters, muscle fasciculations....as with
anything, finding the optimal dosage, frequency and delivery system is the
key.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Is working a horse so hard that we have to give >constant electrolytes good
for the horse in the long run? >or is it just another way to keep them going
to finish a >race?

Elytes aren't going to keep any horse going that otherwise is exhausted or
whatever.  We're not talking an artificial modality here.  We're talking
replacement of naturally occurring elements that are being lost at an
accelerated pace due to the nature of the sport, regardless of pace.

I will go back and find Darolyn's original post on this >and you should too
and see exactly what she said about >the amount of elytes given. And as I
recall, her thoughts >that she should have doubled the dose at some point.

Without data as to exact dosage, "double dose" is a relative and meaningless
term.  The original dose might have been a pinch, or might have been twenty
pounds.

you can defend them all you want,

Nobody's either defending or accusing, so cool your jets a few notches,
please.

but there are too >many horses dying in endurance and there must be a >very
"complex" reason why.

I agree.  Part of why I spend hundreds of hours every year writing articles
discussing how to avoid such problems.  Part of why I've shelled out close
to $40,000 of my own money for research on the issue (and therefore have
some pretty good hard data, as opposed to opinion).  Part of why I spend
several thousand dollars a year flying around the country teaching seminars
to people on what the physiology of breakdown is.  Part of why I'm on two
different AERC committees actively addressing the problems.  What are *you*
doing, Amber?  If you want to discuss the physiology of horse deaths
logically and reasonably without a lot of exaggerations, that's fine.  But
let's not go assuming that over-electrolyting was a contributing cause until
you have some real data, not generalizations, please.

Susan G, DVM