From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of rackinfool
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 1:44 PM
To: Susan Garlinghouse, DVM; Darolyn Butler-Dial; 'ride camp'
Subject: Re: [RC] Adios

Well, as I recall, she did mention about the elytes she gave before the horse left, and at the event. I am not pointing fingers at all, like the rest of us, I am trying to discern something that I feel is worthy of discussion, no matter whose horse we are talking about.

We are all learning and sharing ideas "Because of" the tragic death of Darolyn's horse, and for that, we are all grateful for whatever information we can gleam.

I don't feel that the elyte question should be shoved under the rug, I feel as Heidi and Gene Nance do, that we should step back and see what the pros and cons are to all of this electrolyting.

 We know it causes ulcers and not only in the stomach. Is working a horse so hard that we have to give constant electrolytes good for the horse in the long run? or is it just another way to keep them going to finish a race?

I will go back and find Darolyn's original post on this and you should too and see exactly what she said about the amount of elytes given. And as I recall, her thoughts that she should have doubled the dose at some point.

you can defend them all you want, but there are too many horses dying in endurance and there must be a very "complex" reason why. I just want to find out more of the "why" in all of this. And if we don't ask, or offer suggestions then how are we to learn?

amber