Re: [RC] Isabel - Barbara McCrary

Aren't there years when hurricanes are named after men?  I'm almost certain I remember some years when this was so.  As I recall, all hurricanes during the season are named either masculine or feminine.  Wasn't there a Hurricane Andrew recently, within the last few years?  We don't have hurricanes on the west coast, so I'm not really familiar with the subject.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: goearth
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 2:48 AM
Subject: [RC] Isabel

Well its coming our way and she sounds like a really big girl.  Why is it Mother Nature? and Hurricanes, which are the biggest force in nature, named after women?  Talking with my Daddy who lives in Va. Beach he sounded stressed as he was under a mandatory evacuation.  I remember Camille in 1969 and flew over the devastation in a helicopter taking pictures for the army and it was a sight to behold of the force of nature and the havoc it can bring.  Now its the calm before the storm and the winds are supposed to start around 9 and the rains this afternoon.  There will be many stories to tell on this one I believe.  Godspeed to all in her path.  ts