From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Chrystal@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 8:49 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Pregnant mare/riding advice

Hello, does anyone have any experience riding pregnant mares in competitive
trail rides or even 50 milers??
Here is my story...........:-)
I found my PERFECT horse, I spent all last year looking for , I don't
know,, a horse I felt a connection with, I looked at tons of great horses
but I didn't "feel" anything special, anyway I will skip the long story
about how I found these people but suffice to say that I found a Morgan
breeder around the corner from me who thought he had  a horses that would
do well at endurance, her name is Miss T and within 5 minutes I would have
remortgaged my house to have her!!:-)

Here is the catch, her owners won't sell her, they free lease ( give) her
to me from April 'till December when she will go home, have the baby, and
get pregnant again before she comes back to me 3 months later- quite
honestly I think she does enough just being a" baby machine " and wouldn't
ask her to do these rides except that she LOVES it!! I have never had a
horse that loves hitting the trails as much as she does and she is fast! I
did a 26 mile ride on her (CTR) this summer she came in 7th which I though
was pretty good as all those that  were above her had been doing the rides
all spring/summer, this was her first ride, it was a very challenging trail
and incredibly hot and humid!! AND she was almost 6 months pregnant when I
did the ride, even as I type that I feel  like SUCH a mean person for
asking her to do this!! I was ready to pull her at the vet checks at any
sign of real or imagined <g> trouble but she did amazing, the vet was
impressed with her and Miss T was still ready to go when we finished ( have
to say that I wasn't  <g>  )

Anyway, any other people's experience with pregnant mares would be
appreciated, I am hoping that ONE year her owners will sell her to me but
that isn't going to happen for awhile.
I would like to do some more CTR's next year and maybe a 50 mile??? I don't
know, I would  like to do the 50 mile because she is so fast and really my
only problem riding her is slowing her down as the CTR's are timed.
What do you think??
Thanks for reading my novel!!!!!! :-) :-)

Chrystal