From: Ridecamp Moderator <ridecamp-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   [Guest] Is it wrong to not "give-up" on a horse with a bowed

Gary Daniels GDaniels@xxxxxxx
Hi everybody:
This is my first time on Ridecamp - I've heard great things about it.  I've
encountered a rather disturbing conversation recently when I met another
endurance rider online as I was sharing a story about my 8 year old gelding
who bowed his tendon during training for 20 Mule Team this past
January.  The degree was such that after carefully evaluating it via
sonograms and regular check-ups during my horse's lay-off and rehab period,
that the vet (a wonderful vet who specializes in sport-horses/endurance
horses)stongly believed in the full recovery of my horse.  After several
months off and following a strict program prescribed by the vet, I began
first hand-walking, then riding slow, easy miles.  Furthermore I spent
months reading endurance books about injury prevention, the bowed tendon
book, books about riding and training sensibly, and I learned a lot of
things that I didn't know before.  We have since put in a little over 300
training miles - slow easy miles and we are working our way into a slow,
easy trot.  Along with my horse's almost unusual passion for the trails, my
vet's opinion, and keeping an extra close eye on every single step of every
training ride, and the slow but steady progress my horse makes, I believe
in the full recovery of my horse.  If my wildest dreams come true, perhaps
I can take my horse to the Tevis one day and become a great example to many
people who normally wouldn't go the extra mile and rather give up on their
horses.
Back to the person I met online.  Before he was thru giving me his opinion,
I was every negative "thing" we've ever read in endurance.  How could I
ever even think about bringing a horse back after a bowed tendon injury -
horses are flesh and blood, not only machines - the writing's on the wall
and I'm only pushing for disaster to happen - and basically I was one of
those who give endurance a bad name.  Had this person been in front of me,
I'm sure they would have thrown eggs at me.
To this person's defense, I admire his passion for our animals and he
apparently had whitnessed disaster on the trails where people were overcome
with their own goals and desires and only used their horses as "tools" or
"machines" to get them there.  But after doing my research as extensively
as I know how to, if I believe in my horse's recovery and decided not to
let him live the rest of his life in a 25x75 corall quite yet, do I belong
into the category that this person put me in?
A bowed tendon is a nasty injury and if you choose to bring your horse back
to endurance or any discipline, this injury will test your patience,
emotions, and personal strength, and oh - your pocket book as well.  How
much easier it would be to just purchase another horse.  But you see, I
can't do that - I'm an endurance rider and this sport is a joint venture
between me and my horse - even when he's temporarely a little banged up.
I value and respect all of your opinions - I really would love to hear
them.  Please no name-calling or bitterness.  I'm kindly asking for your
opinion.  Thanks in advance,
Gary