[RC] How do you ensure your horse is working "correctly" - Karen Casemier

For those of you who don't know, a little less than a year ago I had a bad riding accident and broke my neck. I recovered almost fully - I have a small amount of permanent nerve damage that affects my right hand slightly, but it is hardly noticable.

Prior to my accident, I was taking regular dressage lessons and finally making some real progress with my mare Mazzie - she's a slightly hot Morgan who prefers to travel like a giraffe, not like a horse. I knew that in order to do distance riding, we'd have to get her working more correctly and more relaxed, and we were starting to get there.

Now, however, I find that it takes an immense amount of concentration on my part to ride her correctly in the snaffle I have her in, as I was taught in my dressage lessons. The barely noticable nerve damage is mostly noticable when I ride - I really have to focus in order to maintain a consistent contact on the right rein. I also have some muscle spasms in my right leg and right forearm that tend to go off when I try and concentrate too hard (and the doctor says the spasms are probably something I'll be dealing with forever). It's both mentally and physically tiring, and I keep finding myself dropping the contact, riding almost totally off my seat and legs, and being much more relaxed in the process!

Mazzie has naturally become more relaxed since I got her a Bob Marshall Sportsaddle - I've had constant fitting problems with her, and she really seems to like this saddle. I'm considering trying one more new thing - going to a sidepull instead of the snaffle I've always used with her (she was ridden in a hackamore when I got her 2.5 years ago, but she doesn't neck rein well, and she didn't seem to go well in it). She's always been very responsive to my weight during transitions, and I rarely need to get strong with her to get her to come back to me - she's hot, but she's also sensitive, so she's pretty responsive. I thought with the sidepull, I wouldn't be as concerned with the contact issue, and wouldn't need to worry about the inconsistencies with my right hand. I figure when I do start CTR next spring, as I hope to do, I could always start out with a bit if I feel I need more control, then switch once she settles down.

With THAT long story, my question is how do I ensure Mazzie is working "correctly" now that I'm considering a change to my riding style like this. By correctly, I don't mean in an artificial frame. I mean using herself in a manner that will help her extend the least amount of energy and protect against soreness (for example, when she goes like a giraffe with her head in her air, she hollows her back and tenses her muscles - NOT good for distance riding for either of us!). What types of "cross training" do you guys do with your horses? How do you ensure you are a good partner to your horse? I adore my mare (we've gotten much closer since I returned to riding from my accident), and I want to continue riding her for a long, long time!

Thanks for any suggestions! And I'd love to hear from any others who have returned from accidents and had to change their riding style to accomodate the changes.

Karen and Mazzie

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es