Re: [RC] Shoeing School - Jim Holland

Roger....

I did this back in 2000 when I was having trouble keeping shoes on
Sunny.  Where I live, it is impossible to get a farrier to put on a shoe
on short notice.  I went to Tennessee State Blacksmith and Farrier
School.

http://tsbfs.com/school.html

Tuition was $1500 and lasted two weeks.  This was one of the most useful
things I ever did.

-  I am comfortable putting a shoe back on, which has saved me lots of
time and grief, AND it gets me a little more respect from the
farrier....he's less likely to give me grief over how I want my guys
shod.

-  I learned that I would not want to do this for a living...too
dangerous except on my own horses. (Be careful when you're working with
horses you don't know in the class)

-  I COULD shoe my own horses, but it takes PRACTICE to do it quickly
and well. IMHO, you just don't get enough in two weeks. In theory,
learning how to balance and shoe a horse with good feet and no problems
is easy. DOING it is something else again.

-  If you're not doing it for a living every day you won't get a lot
better at it when you get back.

-  I thought the course emphasized forge work too much....seems it's a
"farrier thing" to be able to make custom shoes, although shoes are
available ready-made in just about every configuration you can think
of.  That was interesting, but not what I wanted or expected in a two
week course. The two week course was just a "shortened" version of the
long course.

-  Go in the fall or spring.....which temperatures are moderate....don't
go when it's real cold or real hot.

-  Lots of classwork on the structure and inner workings of the horse's
leg which I have found useful for other things, such as lameness
issues...but a little heavy on memorizing names of ligaments, tendons,
etc.

-  Lots of good info on founder, uses of various shoes, navicular, etc.

Before you go out and buy all the tools, check with me.....I bought a
lot of stuff that you really don't need unless you're shoeing full
time...they provided tools at the class I attended.

I have put shoes back on at rides now and then for other people....but
advertise at a ride that you have your tools and can do that at your own
risk! If another rider is going with me to a ride and camping/riding
with me, I ask them throw an old set of shoes from the last time they
shod their horse in the vet bag...at least for the front...then if they
lose a shoe, I can put an old one back on quickly and without an anvil.
This is not a bad addition to any rider's trailer. Many rides do not
have a farrier available.

Naturally, as soon as I finished the school, I hooked up with a really
good farrier and Sunny's feet got better and he quit yanking shoes. I
haven't had to put a shoe back on (either horse) in over a year! <sigh>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Roger Rittenhouse wrote:

Cost about $2k plus tools..
School is Casey and Son...

If I did this I would not have to deal with lost shoes, and other
problems..such as called 2 shoers asked if they wanted my  business and
they do not rtn the calls.. guess they have too much work?

I watch and learn have read  more then I can remember..
I just want to shoe a few here to trail ride. the ones I use for endurance,
well I will just haul to Ga and see Jaye..P

Just getting frustrated about this thing..
How many riders do their own? with or without formal training.
Roger R