Re: [RC] Which brake controller? - Truman Prevatt

It could have been the controller was not properly adjusted for "level." If they are not adjusted to know level, they won't work properly.

So if you get a new one, get one that a) you can adjust for level - it's easy you put you truck on a flat level surface and twist a dial till the lites act like they should (and it tell you how they should) or b) for a little more get one with a solid state circuit that automatically keeps they adjusted to level.

Truman

Kristi Schaaf wrote:

After hauling our 3 horse 10 ft LQ 50,000 miles with
not enough use of the trailer brakes, we cracked and
had to replace the rear brakes on our F250. Lesson
learned. The brake controller we were using had two
extremes - it didn't engage the brakes enough, or it
caused them to be very jerky (it was a Tekonsha
Voyager), so we buried our heads in the sand and
didn't engage them enough for those 50,000 miles, I'm
ashamed to admit. After lots of dollars for new truck
brakes, I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy (supposed to be
their top of the line?) and took it to the local
hitch/tow shop and asked them to install it. They guy
there told me (after he installed the Prodigy) that he
didn't like that brand much. Gee, thanks....anyway,
what do those of you who haul a lot of weight use for
your brake controller? And how do you KNOW that your
trailer brakes are pulling, er, slowing, their share
of the load? The guy at the shop didn't seem to know
the answer to this question; he told me that I won't
even feel the trailer brakes engaging with the
Prodigy. What? Shouldn't we feel the trailer brakes
kinda 'tug' the trailer back at the beginning of
deceleration, like the trailer is starting to slow
down a split second before the truck? Kristi

=====