[RC] Our Tall Pines Ride, Part 1 - Magnumsmom

I'm sure there are those of you out there who think that
all we have in NM is high desert, rocks and scorpions.
Not true.  We also have Tall Pines.  This was one of the
most beautiful and difficult rides I've done so far and
that includes both Castle Rock and the Eastern High
Sierra Classic.

This was one of the best marked trails I've ever seen.
While there are a few key turns you don't want to miss
(unless you'd rather ride into town and have a beer),
they were all extremely well marked and easy to follow.

Camp is located in the Gila National Forest amoung many
Tall Pines, which are great for your high line.   I was very
spoiled as my usually allergic and non-crew hubby joined
us for this ride.  Crew!  I'm spoiled!  Our cattle dog Jasper
rounded out the entire family outing.

We loaded up and headed out only 1/2 hour late on Saturday
morning.  The ride was on Sunday so we had all day to make
the 300 mile trip to ridecamp.  I am without a trailer right
now, but my neighbor Jack kindly loaned us his 1981 steel
Circle J 20ft gooseneck stock trailer.  This is quite a bit of
trailer for one horse, two people and a dog, but we were
camping in it.  After my old 10 ft slant load 2 horse bp it
was like bringing along a whole condo!

We stopped at our favorite rest area down by Socorro, which
is about 2 hours south to offer water and take a break.
We met up with a Japanese gentleman who couldn't believe
the size of our rig.  He and his Japanese / American friend
fed Blue carrots and took pictures so he could prove that
he had actually bagged a large american rig.  I didn't have
the heart (or the translation) to try to explain to him that
our rig was by far not the largest or fanciest out there.  :)

Not wanting to risk 152, a twisty road between Truth or
Consequences and Silver City, we continued south on I25
and then cut west through Hatch.  Hatch is a small
community along the Rio Grande which is famous for their
chili growing fields.  Hatch are the best chilis to be found.
Labor Day weekend is the Hatch Chili Festival Weekend
and we did get caught in a bit of traffic trying to get through.
That was OK though since we stopped and picked up a bushel
of fresh chili on the way home.

From Hatch we continued west towards Deming where we
would pick up 180 and head north into Silver City.  The miles
flew by and, with one more rest area stop / water break, we
were heading through the old mining towns Hurley, Bayard
and Silver City.  At one we stopped to top off the diesel and
bag 2 blocks of ice for the weekend. Our last leg of the trip
found us skirting Silver City and heading up 15 into the
Gila National forest.  One of the first road signs we saw said
"Not recommended for trailers over 20 ft."  Knowing that
Randy Eiland and his 4 horse LQ Sundowner were surely
ahead of us I didn't worry very much, even though the
center line disappeared about the same point.

We wound our way up through the forest, letting cars pass
where I could pull over, and shortly started to see pink
ribbons here and there.  Sure enough camp was just
ahead, up and down a dirt / rock road.  Rigs were parked
here and there, especially since we arived fairly late, at
around 4:30-ish or 5pm.  Ride management kindly helped
us back into our spot which was very close to the main
vetting area.  There were many round stock tanks full
of water, more than enough for the number of 55 and 25
mile riders.

continued...