[RC] Our Tall Pines Ride, Part 2 - Magnumsmom

The vets were excellent!  They were having fun, enjoying
the ride and the horses.  Everything was explained in
detail and the riders warned about the 2500ft Signal Peak
climb.  Tailing up was suggested by many.  We are still
fairly new to NM and so met many new faces and horses.

We left camp at 6:30 am at the back of the initial pack
of aproximately 20 riders.  A few people stayed in camp
for a couple minutes, but not many.  I can't believe only
about 26 55 mile riders showed up to this fabulous ride!

The trail starts along the dirt road into camp, but quickly
turns onto a single track weaving between trees and along
a bank.  We then crossed the main road through the Gila
(not an issue, there just aren't that many cars in NM, even
on Labor Day Weekend) and rode along between the trees
(Tall Pines) and wild flowers.

Blue REALLY liked this ride. He was in green grass heaven
with several different varieties to choose from.  He pulled
on me a bit at first, but we let the faster riders go and he
settled back into our own pace.  This was good because while
the trail appears to be mostly flat, the hills and elevation
climbs are there.  We went faster on good flat trails, but let
the pack go on the uphills.  I figured we had a day ahead of
us since this would be the furthest we've ridden and we'd all
been warned of the Signal Peak climb after the second hold.
Besides, while I am able to do hill work and climbs of up to
400 ft by riding off my property, we had not been able to trailer
to the mountains to train since the end of May.  I knew we
could do the trail, but I also knew that we would need to
conserve to get us both home in good shape.

We found the first water tank and I took the opportunity to
start electrolyting Blue.  It was cool, but a bit humid from
the monsoon squalls from the last few days.  At the tank
we were joined by Maribel Paulson and her beautiful bay
Arabian Echo.  We left the tank together and rode to the
trot by and then into the first vetcheck together.  The trail
wound up and then along the side of the mountains with
spectacular views of forest, wildernes and red cliffs.  So far
the day was still cool, but riding we were much too warm
for our morning jackets, which we dropped at the trot by.

From along the mountain trail we decended into a stunning
canyon along a stream that is usually flowing, but was dry
this year due to NM's extended drought.  We passed an old
home site and then a fence.  The walls of the canyon are
rock and steep.  It's amazing anyone could put a fence
heading straight up a rock canyon wall, but there it was.
Blue pee'd just as we slowed into the first vetcheck so he
was immediately down.  All checks were gate into hold so
we got our time and then headed for the water.  We vetted
right through without issue and started pigging out on our
45 minutes.  There were many very helpful volunteers.
I ate a donut, which probably wasn't such a good idea as
we will see later.  Oops.

Blue and I were a few minutes late out of the first check,
but quickly caught up with Maribel and Echo.  The two
horses paced well together back to camp and our second
hold.  We travelled through more pine and across granite
sprinkled with patches of grass and wild flowers.  Always
heading to the water tank first, Blue and I again pulsed
down a few minutes behind Maribel.  I know I should just
get his time going asap for a gate into hold, but I have a
hard time bypassing the water tank.  Fortunately, at the
last check in camp a pulse person met me at the tank.
Thank you!

Continued....