Re: [RC] J.Thom - BIT question - csimmons88

The Kimberwicke Uxeter has been my preferred bit for "most horses".

Late in my riding career I learned snaffle (broken mouth piece/no shank
bits) were considered 'lateral, alernating hand bits...never pull back with
both hands at the same time and were designed for rt hand/rt side etc. The
graduating to a shank bit came after the horse was responsive in a
controlled environment and more finesse & collection was desired.

Well that wasn't something I used much in the early days but control &
security of more "bit" was.  Unfortunately, I learned many years later that
my mare was very light & was over bitted in the Kimberwicke and in her teens
we went to a regular Kimberwick Snaffle.  Of course my riding had improved
alot by then also.

My gelding came to me in a Tellington-Jones ported, shanked double reined
bit that he would but his nose on his chest & go right thru.  It was a year
of lateral snaffle work before we could go to the Kimberwicke.  By then I
had learned to use the lateral aspect of the Kimberwicke & many a day we
spent with his nose out to the side (arc to my knee) till his discomfort
brought his brain & emotions back to his body & he'd release/relax & respond
to acknowledging there was a rider along.

The Tom Thumb bit is not a snaffle.  It is a curb bit even tho it has a
broken mouthpiece.  Because of the shanks & chin strap it operates on the
curb/leverage aspect not from the lateral aspect of a  snaffle.  You will
see many horses twisting there heads & necks opposite of what you want went
one handed riding in it with out the basic training of "neck reining".  It
gives mixed signals.  However, genarally speaking gaited horses and
endurance horses are 'figurtivly' ridden predominitly forward-straight ahead
so it does add a modicome of more control than a snaffle when it comes to
stopping & slowing down, so it has its place.

My prejudice against the Tom Thumb bit is that most of us aren't aware of
its limitations and it is actually quite a severe bit when used forcefully.
Just a reminder also:  the longer the shank the more leverage it has.
Obviously, a light mouthed horse ridden in a curb bit by a rider with
educated light hands will not need to engage the leverage given by the
shanks; but they're there for more collection and control when needed.
Those of us that have used them primarily for stopping power probably
haven't done enough schooling to keep our horses responding to us in the
heat of competition emotionally...I've been there.  Good Luck.

Sorry to run on.