[RC] From PAC -

HolyCow, things are getting crowded in the little bitty village of Trout
Lake...having been here for 10 days, we were getting used to the sleepy little
place and then the rigs started rolling in!!

East team and Central are still in their respective fields, but most teams are
assembling at the Mt Adams Horse Camp further up the mountain.  I drove up last
evening to see if I could find Steph and John, but it was just starting to get
dark and to rain, so I didn't get out of the truck.  There are showers and
potties and vender booths, along with a huge fleet of trucks belonging to the
caterer along with big white tents to cook and eat at.  It is pretty different
from the dry windy field we have been riding through!!

The weather has changed drastically and it is windy and cool and sputtering
rain.  Early this morning a huge rainbow filled the sky - I think it ended at
the finish line.....!  A pot of gold, indeed!!  Hopefully it will rain enough
to tame the wicked dust we have been riding through, and make the rangers a
little more comfortable with the fire risk. I know they are on pins and needles
worrying about the chance of fire.  While riding alone a few days ago, a water
truck on it's way up to horse camp stopped to offer me a soda and some horse
water (Music drank out of his fire hose!!) He said they were wetting down the
field before people moved in - very nice guy!

On a ride two days ago, Cia and I were quite high in the mountains trying to
trail Crockett Dumas (another story...) and I am fairly sure we saw a mountain
lion print in the dust.  VERY cool.

East team has begun it's internal vetting and all the horses look fabulous!!
We are planning a Jimmy Buffet party and a Yankee auction later in the week -
us easterners are pretty serious about our riding AND our FUN!!!

Have to run---

Laura Hayes AERC#2741