[RC] Hello! (Introductiion and Barefoot Question) - SuperJockey

Hello endurance riders!

I joined the list a couple days ago, and it seems fitting that I introduce myself.  I am 14yo and live in Lexington, KY.  My family live's right next to a nature preserve, so I condition Missile there and at a horse park nearby.

Missile is a 8yo "mutt" gelding, with some Morgan, Quarter Horse, and Mustang mixed in.  He's great, and coming a long way.  I also have a 3 1/2-month-old APHA colt who I plan to event--he's atheletic and jumps everything he can find...lol!  He doesn't listen when we tell him he's too young.  At our property, we also have a 3yo filly named Lacy Loop, and Sedona, Frankie's 8yo mom.  I am hoping to soon get a good friend named Randy's Gelding off the track.  He's six, and running is not his thing any more.  Another good friend is Andromeda, a wonderful filly in Indiana who I plan to ride once I get my jockey's license.

Anyway, neither Missile nor I has competed in an endurance ride before, and next year will be our first experience.  I plan to take him on four rides from April to October (all 25-30, with perhaps the October a 50...I'll see how it goes).

My question is...Missile has strong hooves, and our farrier really supports the barefoot way, as do I.  Do any of your horses go barefoot?  What are your thoughts on the matter?

Thanks and hello again,
Kristin and Missile, Frankie, Randy, and Andromeda

Do you Yahoo!?