[RC] Truck Ins and Over weight - Roger Rittenhouse

Back to my rants about pulling over-weight - that is in excess of the GVWR
and the GCWR of the truck.

I checked out my current insurance with AIG. My 6 months cost for  the F350
is $248- for full coverage.

I noted when reviewing my policy-  the insurance CLASS code for my one ton
F350 truck was the SAME as the CLASS code for my big truck MOTORHOME- RV.

That was stranrge - appears the insurance company classed my truck as an RV
. This was based on what I told them I use it for - recreation, pulling a
horse trailer.
They did  not ask about load weights.

I called a agent for PROGRESSIVE ins.
After 15 minutes of trying to explain this situation, we got on the same
page.

A pickup  truck one ton ( at least in TN)  MUST be CLASSIFIED as commercial
for INSURANCE purposes,  WHEN and IF you are using it to pull a load.

That is it cannot be classified as an RV or a car -as our F150 pickup is.

My current policy is wrong and if I get in a wreck with the trailer, the
policy CAN be voided. Because the class use rating is wrong for what I do
with it- the actual use.

Progressive Ins will not insure a ton truck as a car or RV. They write the
policy for the actual use. This is based on the  weight of the truck loaded
and weight of the truck and trailer combination.

How do they know that? They are suppose to ask and you - I -   are suppose
to tell them the truth about the use. If you do not make it clear you are
pulling a horse trailer  at xxxxx pounds then you are  or may be rated
wrong. They look at this as mis-information and sort of fraud.  The agent
indicated a horse trailer even with an LQ cannot be considered as a REC Veh
RV.
As a side note in  TN all horse trailers get a one time tag - is says
'SEMI' , that sounds commercial to me. I do not know what type of tag a
travel trailer gets.

When they key in the VIN number it comes up as a commercial insurance
policy since it can be loaded GVWR over 10000 pnd and   and tow 20k
combined load.
I was asked the dry weight of my trailer - that is empty - Mine is about
7500.  The bigger the trailer the higher the classification.

I was also asked if I travel out of state with the loaded rig - how far-
how many times per month, avg miler per trip.

If you fail to tell them all the facts and  details about weight and use,
and if they rate - classify you - at a lower rating, you are  not insured
correctly -- they can drop you.

They did not really indicate they were concerned that I was over  the limit
of the truck, which I though was strange. I was told that was DOT issue.

They are going to quote a policy for this truck written on a combined
policy with our F150 and the LQ  Horse trailer. I was told to expect the
F350 to be about $400  per 6 months  or 2 times what I pay now for the RV
classification. They look at that is as commercial insurance for a pickup
truck - non commercial vehicle - used for private use based on the actual
use and running weights.
Appears the  cut point is 10000pnds
They would NOT write a policy for this truck classified as an RV.

I will also get a quote for an F450 to see how much more that will be - the
agent estimated about $500 to $600  for 6 months. That would be commercial
insurance for a commercial truck used for private use.

Will post the follow up when I get the quote.
AIG would not tell me much, except they would not cover a F450. I did not
speak with a local agent but a phone agent who did not seem to understand
what I was asking.
The PROGRESSIVE agent believes I am incorrectly insured.

With a few long trips coming, I want to make sure I this correct.

Sure was less of an issue with the motorhome, they get the better deals,
insurance, tags and no issues about commercial use. Of course weight
ratings still apply with DOT.
rr
V-MAX Equine HRM
Equine Performance Technology